Skip to main content

tv   The Ed Show  MSNBC  June 14, 2011 1:00am-2:00am EDT

1:00 am
$2,500. between this and the don't say gay law trying to make it illegal to say the word "gay" in tennessee schools, they are having a banner year. first the scary picture and then good evening, americans. welcome to "the ed show." tonight from new york. the republican presidential debate, the first one is over and tonight democrats, i think you could say, are dancing in the streets because michele bachmann used her opening statement to announce that she has filed the paperwork. there's a lot to get here tonight and we have an all-star panel. joan walsh, michael eric dyson all here to weigh in on the debate that many people watch and also have reaction from the former white house press secretary robert gibbs. he'll be here and from the story that refuses to go away, the president himself weighing in on the anthony weiner scandal. you don't want to miss those comments. but, first, tonight, it's all
1:01 am
about the debate. this is "the ed show." let's get to work. >> what this president has done has slowed the economy. >> we need a new president in the obama depression. >> this president is a declinest and he views america as one of equals around the world. >> this president has failed. >> what has happened in this administration is that they have pressed oppressive policy and oppressive regulation after obama care being first and foremost. >> as president of the united states, i will not rest until i repeal obama care. it's a promise, take it to the bank, cash the check. i'll make sure that that happens. >> that was the central theme of the night for the republicans. obama has overreached on health care and has underachieved on jobs. that's nothing new. what else was not new. they don't have any solutions to problems facing this country. and, you know, i was waiting for the small business pitch.
1:02 am
i was waiting for a what we're going to do to help the little guy. i was waiting for someone to announce that they have a solution to outsourcing, meaning jobs going to other countries. in fact, mitt romney went so far tonight to blame the united auto workers. newt gingrich started things out. the whole framework is about tax cuts. the whole framework is about reagan. here's newt. >> the obama administration is anti-jobs, anti-business, anti-american energy, destructive force and we shouldn't talk about what we do in 2013 the congress this year, next week ought to repeal the sarbanes oxley bill and start jobs right now because for those 14 million americans this is a depression now. >> nobody is better at it than he is. any solution there for jobs? any solution there for health care? any solution whatsoever other
1:03 am
than to play the blame game? that's what they do best. i wanted newt to get to that american exceptionalism that he always talks about. here's mitt romney. this is his take on what is wrong with america and what we have to do about jobs. >> as i went around the world, this is an important topic. i went around the world. you can tell how to get jobs going in this country and president obama has done it wrong, and the idea as tim described, those are in the right wheel house. >> see right there, mr. romney, you had an opportunity at the top of the show to say, i want to get capital to the little guy. i want to give capital to small businesses because small businesses really is the backbone of the american economy. 75% of jobs in this country come from small businesses. we've got tight credit so much and none of this was acknowledged tonight by the republicans. none of it. and then, of course, the term middle class never came up. but i will give credit to tim pawlenty.
1:04 am
he tried to go in the back door saying he is so favorable to unions. i thought pawlenty scored pretty well tonight because he did talk about trade agreements that are hurting american workers. here's the former governor of minnesota. >> i grew up in a manufacturing town. i was in a union for six or seven years. i understand what it's like to see the blue collar communities and the struggles that they've had when manufacturing leave. so, i've seen that first hand. number one, we have to have fair trade and what's going on right now is not fair. i'm for a fair and open trade, but i'm not for being stupid and i'm not for being a chump. we have individuals and organizations in countries around this world who are not following the rules when it comes to fair trade. we need a stronger president and someone who will take on those issues. number two, we need to take the costs and burdens of manufacturing in this country. we need them to climb the mountain with a sack of rocks on their back and we have to take the rocks out and that's obama
1:05 am
care. moving his whole company out of the country just because of to balma care. the taxes are too high, the permitting is too slow and the message everywhere around this country from business leaders, large and small, including manufacturing, get the government off my back as president, i will. people shouldn't be forced to belong or be a member in any organization and the government has no business telling people what group you have to be a member of or not. i support strongly right to work legislation. >> okay. so, does that mean you're totally against workers, governor pawlenty? the employee free choice act, would that be off the table? you don't want anybody in the country to go through collective bargaining even though at the beginning of your answer you're telling us how you understand unions because you come from a union family and you understand manufacturing? no. you don't understand manufacturing if you don't understand the workers. the fact of the matter is, it's the attack on labor that has
1:06 am
cost us where we are right now and none of those candidates tonight who want to be president of the united states would step up and acknowledge that fact. the next thing, of course, is the government. the government is always the boogie man. if there's a problem in this country, it's because of the government. mr. pawlenty, what do you want to do about obama care as you call it? do you want to tell those people in america that it's okay, that you're okay with insurance companies dropping them when they get sick? that the pre-existing condition means that they can't get insurance. you want to go back to those days? no acknowledge tonight whatsoever by any of them saying that the health care law that was passed over the next ten years is going to save this country a trillion dollars, plus we're going to have more focus on preventative care. i didn't hear that tonight. in fact, i didn't hear any ideas tonight from the republicans when it came to creating jobs or when it came to what they love to say, fix obama care. then, of course, now we have to get to taxes. and it's michele bachmann who was the queen up there tonight talking about taxes and how she
1:07 am
knows so much more than everybody else. >> today united states has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world. i'm a former federal tax lawyer. i've seen the devastation. we have to bring the tax rate down substantially so we're the lowest in the industrialized world. every time the liberals get into office, they pass a bill of big spending projects. what we need to do is pass the mother of all repeal bills, but the repeal bill that will get job killing regulations. i would begin with the epa because there is no other agency like the epa. it should really be renamed the job killing organization of america. >> i'll tell you what, we've got a lot to be happy about in cable because we have all kind of bullet points to work with with michele bachmann. everything is a job killer. even the epa is out there. they don't care about the environment, they want to big oil run wild. they also made the statement that we're not drilling as much
1:08 am
as we're used to. excuse me, the production of oil in this country is up 7 11%. i want to know what you think. head over to our website at and vote who you think won tonight's gop debate. you can skip the text poll, we need you to go to our website for the vote tonight. i'll like to bring you the results later on in the show. who do you think won? i'm not talking about personally, style points. i would vote on that tonight as to who brought me, you know, hat in cattle, if you know what i mean. joining me now tonight is our panel joan walsh, editor at large and also michael eric and also e.j. dion who is a columnist for "washington post." i just asked our audience to go to the website and vote and now these three panelists will tell
1:09 am
us who scored very well tonight, joan walsh, your thoughts. >> since there are two primaries going on for the republicans, i'll have to name two winners. you've really got the far right unlike in 2008 has several candidates and i think that side of the primary, i think michele bachmann did the best. partly because she didn't totally embarrass herself. sometimes they had a little bit more than surface to them and then on the other side the kind of primary for the people who might used to formally have been moderate and reasonable. i think the winner there was mitt romney. i think pawlenty lost the minute he refused to confront mitt to his face about his insults and i think that you saw those two
1:10 am
sides fighting it out. newt gingrich is gone and he didn't even look interested in this debate. i feel very sorry for him and i think we can push him and herman cane out of the way. i think the winners were romney and bachmann. >> mr. eric dyson, who impressed you tonight? >> i think i'd have to agree with joan that michele bachmann, scarily enough, presented the reasonable face of what has often been a vicious and vitre alec expression of pardonship. herman kaine, i think his answer about the muslims was quite disturbing and the litmus test he evoked, but he did reasonably well. i think michele bachmann for that far, far right side. between romney and kaine for the reasonable. he doesn't have chance within the republican party to be their face.
1:11 am
>> e.j. dion. did mitt romney do what he had to do? >> well, i think mitt romney survived the thing. in other words, i was surprised that there wasn't more ganging up on romney. i agree with joan that i thought if pawlenty was going to talk about obama care, not a bad line in a republican primary, he should have stuck with it. but i thought because romney was not damaged tonight and because i think he ahead he did well. i picked the same moment you did. i thought when pawlenty tried to turn himself into the working class hero with that answer on trade, there are a lot of white working class republicans. so, i think he did well at that moment. one moment i liked from romney and that is when he was pretty unambiguous in defending liberty i think if you have anybody winning the thing, because she surprised people.
1:12 am
she looked more at ease than the other folks. >> a big conversation around jobs, obviously, in this country. mitt romney talked about the automobile loan. here's how it came down. >> would you say the bailout program was a success? >> the bailout program was not a success because it wasted a lot of money. >> anyone here given that prospect and anyone here who would have stepped in and said, i don't want to do this, but this is the backbone of american manufacturing, i'll do something? >> no, absolutely not. we should not have had t.a.r.p. or auto bailout. they could have gone through a structured. they tipped to the unions. >> every economist that i have spoken with and reported on is saying that the auto loan saved millions of jobs, we had the united auto workers president, bob king, on this program here the other night saying it was clearly the right thing to do and they took a hair cut between 7,000 and 30,000.
1:13 am
how does romney fair with that answer? >> that is one place where i'm not assessing a little damage to him. he thinks he will be strong in michigan. he is a favorite son. not only factually wrong, but politically tone deaf. between those two things, he may have hurt himself there and, look, you know, of course, the uaw is going to be their scapegoat, but they did take a hair cut. they are reducing jobs and reducing benefits and they played along and they compromised and so i think it was a really stupid answer. i also heard the trade, the nod to trade agreements and that was interesting. but, again, they don't have the fundamental idea about how this works. >> michael eric dyson, how about as we move forward in the conversation as far as jobs in this country, michele bachmann was saying that the republicans have a great story to tell. let's look at this.
1:14 am
>> republicans have an awesome story to tell. every one of us in the three-legged stool, we need the fiscal conservatives and we need the social conservatives and we need everybody to come together because we're going to win. just make no mistake about it. i want to announce tonight. president obama is a one-term president. >> one-term president because we have a bunch of bush talk tonight. i didn't hear any new ideas whatsoever, michael? >> not one championship, not two championships, four, five, six or seven. we heard that before. the prognostication about winning is one thing when you're in the rev up. michele bachmann scored tonight not only because of what joan and e.j. have spoken about, but also because she strategically announced her candidacy tonight so that, you know, she was undecided before she got there. by announcing tonight, she gets a smaller leg up on her opponents because it makes a different kind of news, as well.
1:15 am
in the story to tell, you can't fault her for her passion or idealism but in terms of squaring that with reality, if you were for big business tonight, you felt good. if you were for people with not people against the wall, if you're talking about social security or medicare and talking about insurance in this obomneycare that was put together, then, fine. but if you are the person who are working hard and any part of a union or god forbid making a decision about your life either in the military your own, republicans want the government to stay out of their bedrooms until they want to get into someone else's bedroom. >> taking a look at these polls, romney at 24% in "usa today" gallup poll. palin was not there tonight and she's at 16%. i thought about what kind of answers palin would give.
1:16 am
i don't think she's in the gave. e.j., what do you think? >> i'm still in the camp that says she's not going to run and it turns out bachmann does a better job of palin than palin does. primary voter and a middle of the road swing voter. i think there was, if you're a republican primary voter, for example, on the auto bailout. you hate the auto bailout. in that sense, everything would appeal to that base. if i'm running michigan for barack obama, i'm very happy with what came out tonight. i don't think a michigan person would respond to that. i think you want more than cut taxes, cut regulation and get rid of the epa and i'm not sure they had much to give that voter tonight and i don't know how they'll pivot off this right-wing position. >> nothing for small business. boogie man, obviously, is the government. get rid of everything president
1:17 am
obama did. it was pretty vanilla as far as the republicans were concerned, i thought, tonight. they were lacking the devil in the detail of what they wanted to do. joan walsh, michael dyson, we'll have much more on the debate coming up. gerald bernstein will be here to discuss the economic solutions presented tonight. later, robert gibbs joins us from manchester. stay with us, we're right back. [ motor starts ] your finances can't manage themselves. but that doesn't mean they won't try. bring all your finances together
1:18 am
with the help of the one person who can. a certified financial planner professional. cfp. let's make a plan. is best absorbed in small continuous amounts. only one calcium supplement does that in one daily dose. new citracal slow release... continuously releases calcium plus d for the efficient absorption my body needs. citracal.
1:19 am
president obama was the focus of tonight's debate, quite a bit, i thought. while several republicans spent the better part of the evening vying for barack obama's job, mr. obama, the president, put his attention on the country's lack of jobs. 9.1% unemployment. in north carolina today, mr. obama promoted his job creation plan that he remains focused on economic recovery. the president also addressed another issue that just won't go away. the saga involving new york
1:20 am
congressman anthony weiner. here's what he told nbc's ann curry. >> should congressman anthony weiner resign? >> obviously, what he did was highly inappropriate. i think he's embarrassed himself, he's acknowledged that. he embarrassed his wife and his family. ultimately, there's going to be a decision for him and his constituents. i can tell you, if it was me, i would resign because public service is exactly that. it's a service to the public. and when you get to the point where because of various personal distractions, you can't serve as effectively as you need to. at a time when people are worrying about jobs and their mortgages and paying the bills, then you should probably step back. >> the president now strongly suggesting that congressman anthony weiner should resign. you could catch more of ann
1:21 am
curry's interview tomorrow on "today." more on the congressman later on the program, but, next, more highlights from tonight's republican debate. who won and who didn't. [ male announcer ] millions of men 45 and older just don't feel like they used to. are you one of them? remember when you had more energy for 18 holes with your buddies. more passion for the one ya love. more fun with your family and friends. it could be a treatable condition called low testosterone or low t. come on, stop living in the shadows. you've got a life to live.
1:22 am
[ male announcer ] so don't blame it on aging. talk to your doctor and go to to find out more. it is about jobs. president obama faces economic news that could threaten his re-election. today, "wall street journal" said leading economists expect a slow down in hiring to be the biggest threat to the u.s. recovery in four key states. florida, nevada, north carolina and michigan unemployment is more than 10%. so, how do the republican candidates respond? the challenges facing the economy.
1:23 am
well, here's herman cain from the debate tonight. >> the lower taxes, lower the capital gains tax rate to zero so spend taxes on repatriated profits and then make them permanent. >> that tax cut would cost the country close to $80 billion in revenue, according to the joint committee on taxation. how about rick santorum. what are his new big ideas? >> the reason we're seeing this second dip is because of energy prices and the president has put a stop sign against oil drilling, against any kind of exploration against drilling of alaska. we need to drill and create energy jobs, just like we're doing, by the way, in pennsylvania. >> i don't know what santorum thinks they're doing differently in pennsylvania, but in the united states oil production is at its highest level in almost a decade. that's a fact. so, now, let's go to michele bachmann for her big idea.
1:24 am
>> united states has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world. i'm a former federal tax lawyer. i've seen the devastation. we have to bring that tax rate down substantially so we're among the lowest in the industrialized world? >> have you seen that movie before? some might want to tell congresswoman that the corporate profits will climb at an average 10% a year through 2013, more than three times quicker than the economy. here's a graph showing corporate profits over the past decade. they've been sky rocketing since the 2008 collapse. so much for regulation. and here's a chart representing the american workers share of national income. it seems to go kind of in the opposite direction of the corporate profits, don't you think? yeah, it does. let's bring in former chief economic adviser to former economic adviser gerald bernstein who worked with mr. joe biden. good to have you with us
1:25 am
tonight. what was missing from the debate this evening in your opinion? >> i guess one word, ed. memory. there was massive economic amnesia on that stage tonight. if this set of ideas had been trotted out, now say 11 years ago in 2000, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense, particularly coming off the clinton years. 25 million jobs created and a very different approach to government than the economy. but to have this debate tonight with the kind of supply side trickle down, corporate power, cut taxes on the high end, offshore jobs, deregulate, the notion that somehow that recipe singing from that same failed songbook would work in this economy. well, i can only say kind of a massive amnesia. >> today mitt romney's campaign released a web ad about president obama's comment that there are bumps in the road to recovery. let's take a look at this ad.
1:26 am
>> i'm an american, not a bump in the road. >> i'm an american, not a bump in the road. >> i'm an american, not a bump in the road. >> how do you tell that story? how do you reverse that? i mean, we showed the graphic, the corporate profits and we also have shown the graph of union membership and middle class incomes over the years the corporate profits after the tax cuts. you know, but you see an ad like that, they're trying to put the blame on the obama administration as if he doesn't care about the unemployed or little guy. >> ed, i'm very hung up on this notion of memory. i was there in january of 2009 when this president took office. do you know how many jobs we lost that month? 780,000. the gdp was cratering at 6%.
1:27 am
now, we are not where we need to be, the president says that all the time and last month was absolutely a lousy month for jobs, no question about it. but if you actually want to look at how middle class people were fairing under the policies that i heard on that stage tonight, go back to the bush years where for the first time on record median family income, the income of the middle class family adjusted for inflation went no where. poverty rates were higher at the end than they were in the beginning. all the growth went to profits and as you pointed out, profits recovered while middle class wages are stagnant. again, if you're someone who is just really not that interested in a more balanced plan that actually reaches the middle class, i guess this kind of thing resonates with you. if you remember anything about where we've been, i don't see how you get any traction out of that agenda. >> they all say they will repeal what they call obama care. isn't the health care bill a
1:28 am
money saver, like a trillion dollars over the next ten years? >> yeah, actually, that $250 billion over the next ten and about 1 trillion after that and that's scored by the nonpartisan cbo. here's the thing, i think you'll hear the obama administration making this case. you know, that stuff is forecasts that is out there and i have them believe they are accurate. >> michele bachmann said, definitely, the health care bill was a job killer and kill 800,000 jobs, is she right or wrong? >> she's absolutely wrong about that. i don't know where that comes from. here's the thing, you're talking about an affordable care act that is already granting important benefits to middle income families. for example, for coverage previously conditions that were previously denied. the ability to keep your kid on your program. these are policies that are already in place and you have tens of millions of people who
1:29 am
will start be covered by this plan as it comes on. what is the alternative? they all, maybe not all, but many of them endorsed paul ryan's medicare idea. >> sure they did. >> and this is a plan where you give somebody a voucher, actually, you give it to the insurer, you give them a voucher and that voucher which, by the way, grows at a rate well below health care inflation is already $6,000 inadequate relative to current rates and it gets worse over time. >> mr. bernstein, who do you think was most impressive tonight? >> i don't do the political horse race thing. i was struck by the lack of anything i hadn't heard before and the sticking to a playbook that has demonstratively lost for the middle class. >> jared bernstein former economic adviser to vice president joe biden. thanks for joining us tonight. >> my pleasure. tim pawlenty went on the
1:30 am
attack against mitt romney yesterday. it was a different story when he was standing next to the creator of romney care. as the top democrats call for his resignation, anthony weiner asked congress for a leave of absence. stay with us. at 190 miles per hour, the wind will literally lift ordinary windshield wipers off the glass. so, did we build a slower car? or design wipers that could handle anything?
1:31 am
what do you think? the cadillac cts-v, the world's fastest production sedan. we don't just make luxury cars, we make cadillacs ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] thanks to advanced natural gas turbine technology from ge, the power that will help make our nation more energy independent is right here in america. [ crickets chirping ] ♪ [ cheers and applause ] advanced gas turbine technology from ge. ♪
1:32 am
♪ i like your messy hair ♪ i like the clothes you wear ♪ i like the way you sing ♪ and when you dance with me ♪ you always make me smile [ male announcer ] we believe you're at your best when you can relax and be yourself. and at thousands of newly refreshed holiday inn express hotels, you always can. holiday inn express. stay you. and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. stay two weekend nights and get a $75 prepaid card.
1:33 am
republican presidential hopeful tim pawlenty went on fox news sunday and took a big swipe at his opponent, mitt romney. he called president obama's
1:34 am
health care plan obamnicare. when he was asked about it during tonight's debate, pawlenty got a little stage fright while standing right next to the former massachusetts governor. >> president obama stood before the nation in 2008 and said he promised to do health care reform focused on cost containment, along with republicans. heeds he'd do it on a bipartisan bases >> the question is why obamnicare? >> this is another example of him breaking his promise. >> you don't want to address why you called it obamneycare. >> what are the similarities between the two and i cited president obama's own words that looked to massachusetts as a blue print or a guide when he designed obama care. >> fair enough, but you chose those words. one of my questions is, why would you chose those words?
1:35 am
your rival is standing right there. if it was obomney care on fox news sunday, why is it not with him standing right there? >> president obalm suthe man i >> president obama was the man i quoted saying he looked to massachusetts for designing his program. he merged the two programs and so using the term obamney care was a reflection of the president's comments that he designed obama care on the massachusetts health care plan. >> that tells me more about tim pawlenty than anything else tonight. when it comes to business, sometimes you have to say things to people that don't feel good. that you don't want to say, but they have to be said and tim pawlenty tonight could not turn to mitt romney and say, i don't agree with what you did in massachusetts, i don't agree with the president of the united states and i don't agree with the way you put your gig
1:36 am
together in your state. he couldn't do it. that speaks volumes to me, anyway, about tim pawlenty and being from minnesota and being a taxpayer in that state, i can tell you, he's the same guy that was governor of minnesota that left the state with a record deficit of $6.5 billion. and, so, i have to ask you tonight, what stood out more in that clip? the mittster knows what that was all about. if the right win republicans thought pawlenty was the hope. we'll have psychotalk tonight. this time rush limbaugh blaming anthony weiner's behavior on liberal women. or revving ] ♪ [ motors revving ] ♪ ♪
1:37 am
♪ [ motor turns over ] ♪ ♪ [ liquid pouring ] ♪ [ drill whirring ] ♪ [ motor turns over ] ♪ [ male announcer ] what if everything ran on gas? ♪ then again, what if everything didn't? the 100% electric, zero-gas nissan leaf. innovation for the planet. innovation for all. ♪ the doctor leaned over and said to me, "you just beat the widow-maker." i was put on an aspirin, and it's part of my regimen now. [ male announcer ] be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. go see your doctor now. before you begin an aspirin regimen. somewhere in america,
1:38 am
there's a doctor who can peer into the future. there's a nurse who can access in an instant every patient's past. and because the whole hospital's working together, there's a family who can breathe easy, right now. somewhere in america, we've already answered some of the nation's toughest healthcare questions. and the over 60,000 people of siemens are ready to do it again. siemens. answers.
1:39 am
i used to not travel very much, but then i discovered hotwire. now, i use all my vacation days. i can afford to visit my folks for the holidays. and reconnect with my girlfriends in vegas. because i get ridiculously low prices on all my trips. you see, when hotels have unsold rooms, they use hotwire to fill them, so i get 4-star hotels for up to half off. now i can afford a romantic trip to new orleans. hi honey! ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e... ♪ thanks for watching "the ed show" tonight. a couple times during the debate tonight the reference to regulation was made by the candidates, that the democrats are the big problem when it comes to regulation, so, pay
1:40 am
attention to this story because this is a regulation story. wisconsin governor scott walker. now, he has, now managed to stick his nose into the state's beer industry with some very strange results. walker's budget has a provision to overhaul wisconsin's regulation of the beer industry, according to think progress. the new regulation would put the state small independent craft breweries on the same level as the big boys like miller coor's so. the brewery would be forced to use a wholesale distributor, that, of course, would be a middle man and, of course, hit the little guy and expenses go up. it's a regulation. breweries in wisconsin, which has 5% of the market, obviously, they're screaming bloody murder because this is going to be what they call jobs. but the new regulation will benefit the big boys, again, for
1:41 am
miller and coor's because the craft beer industry may be small, but it's growing and i guess you could say it must be an economic threat. scott walker side would the big corporation over the small business. even though he loves to talk about small business, is the back bone of our economy. maybe it's because miller, coor's donated to his campaign. do woodchucks chuck wood? (high-pitched laughter) man: hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood! vo: geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. diabetes testing? what else is new? you get the blood, hope it's enough, it's-- what's this?
1:42 am
freestyle lite® blood glucose test strip. sure, i'll try it, but-- [beep] wow. yep, that's the patented freestyle zipwik™ design. it's like it-- [both] targets the blood. yeah, draws it right in. the test starts fast. you need just a third the blood of one touch.® okay. freestyle test strips. i'll take 'em. sure. call or click-- we'll send you strips and a meter, free. can't i just have these? freestyle lite test strips. call or click today. in psycho talk, rush limbaugh trying for his sagging ratings. why congressman anthony weiner does what he does. >> i think being surrounded by, raised by, in the same orb as, judged by what have you, a bunch of feminist ornuted women explains why it is that politicians need to keep cutting loose.
1:43 am
>> so, it's the feminist orb. rush loves to blame them for just about everything. he really flushed out his theory today. >> why can't we blame liberal women for what these politicians are doing? they have feminized politics to such a degree that men can't be men any more. they all got to be out there and try to prove that -- weiner was nothing but an average liberal guy afraid to tick off any liberal women. so, what does he do? if you had to work for debbie blabbermouth shultz every day. she runs a democrat national. what if you had to work with nancy pelosi. these feminists, liberal women have feminized politics to such a degree that politicians, male politicians can't even be men, which may explain why politicians is a group often
1:44 am
caught in these sex scandals. >> the social engineering just keeps on coming, doesn't it? nice one, rush. blame anthony weiner's behavior on nancy pelosi. politics is full of male sex scandals because of liberal women. >> women have neutered the business of politics so effectively that the men who are involved in politics constantly have to prove their masculinity to themselves and to others. as i say, in weiner's case extending all the way to taking a picture of his real congressional member and sending it out on twitter. >> for blaming anthony weiner's bad behavior on women. for blaming women on the sex scandals of all male politicians. for saying liberal feminists, liberal women are the real source of the problem. rush limbaugh gets tonight's triple crown. coming up, robert gibbs with his take on the republican debate and the job record.
1:45 am
[ female announcer ] experience dual-action power, with listerine® whitening plus restoring rinse. it's the only listerine® that gets teeth two shades whiter and makes tooth enamel two times stronger. get dual-action listerine® whitening rinse. building whiter, stronger teeth. is best absorbed in small continuous amounts. only one calcium supplement does that in one daily dose. new citracal slow release... continuously releases calcium plus d for the efficient absorption my body needs.
1:46 am
1:47 am
well, as predicted president obama was the main target of the brain wizards on the stage in manchester, new hampshire, tonight. none of the republicans laid out any new ideas to help the middle class. the 2012 election will be about jobs. when mitt romney was governor of massachusetts, his state ranked 47th out of 50 in job creation. the number is not good and tim pawlenty added a net 6,000 jobs in eight years as the governor of minnesota. the rest of the field, they didn't really offer anything tonight other than tax cuts, less regulation that was not defined and, of course, president obama is taking any of the candidates for granted, that's why he sent former white
1:48 am
house secretary robert gibbs to manchester tonight and he joins us this evening. good to have you on the program. >> good to be back. how are you? >> i'm doing fine. i was looking for new material tonight. i didn't get any in two hours. it's tax cuts, it's regulation and the health care is terrible. what did you see? what stood out tonight? >> make sure this wasn't a rerun of four or eight years ago. i think if the american people wanted to see these candidates propose the exact policies that got us into this financial mess to begin with, that's what they saw on this stage tonight. we're not a tax cut for a millionaire or a billionaire away from a good economy. we don't need to privatize social security. we don't need to gut medicare. we don't need to remove responsibility, the responsibility that president obama put into the financial system by repealing financial reform. look, i think it was deja vu all over again. this was more of what was proposed that got us into this mess. that's not what we need to get us out. >> based on what you saw tonight, who is the biggest threat to president obama in the
1:49 am
field? >> well, look, you know, i heard somebody say that this afternoon up here that maybe rick perry's going to get in because if you look at the number of jobs that he's created in texas, it certainly beats the statistics you just used where mitt romney finished 47th out of 50 and, let's be clear, he would have finished 48th if hurricane katrina wouldn't have hit louisiana and tim pawlenty wants to take the miracle that he brought to minnesota which was, as you said, less than 1,000 jobs created each year and $6 billion in deficits as he was turning out the lights on the way out to run for president. look, i don't think any of these guys or gals has a plan for how to get us out of this mess. they only have plans to repeat how we got into it. >> none of them mentioned that we added private sector jobs for the last 15 months, but they did, unless i heard it wrong, i think they doubled down on voucher care. i mean, they're up there tonight supporting what 80% of the
1:50 am
american people do not want. what about that? >> well, look, again, you had, if you want to hand a senior a voucher for several thousand dollars less than their medical care, then your candidate was on that stage tonight. if you want to privatize social security, your candidate was on that stage tonight. look, again, i think these are more of the failed policies that have been tried and more of the failed policies that got us into this mess. ed, you talk about it persuasively each night on this show. it's not just a financial and economic calamity that started in 2008. you speak so eloquently of those families that for years in 2005 and 2006 and 2007 those middle class families that felt like less secure because their energy and their gas and their food prices were going up and college for their children got more expensive, but their paychecks got smaller. that's who we've got to talk to,
1:51 am
as well. we've got to strengthen this economy. we've got to strengthen education and reform in our schools. we've got to have good job training and we've got to invest in those jobs for the future. that's what we've got to do to get this economy back up. >> i didn't hear anything about helping small businesses tonight. i didn't even hear the term small business come up. >> that is a great point. >> this president has done more for small business. the financial folks, they don't want president obama in there, they're being tight with the dollar and getting the money to small businesses is what this is about. at this point this is what i think and i think they're keeping the corral pretty tight on that right now. robert gibbs, do it again with us. >> ed, it was fun, thank you. the president publicly addresses the anthony weiner scandal. what kind of counseling and treatment can you get in two weeks? i'll have the latest on weiner gate, next. [ male announcer ] the network --
1:52 am
a network of possibilities. in here, the planned combination of at&t and t-mobile would deliver our next generation mobile broadband experience to 55 million more americans, many in small towns and rural communities, giving them a new choice. we'll deliver better service, with thousands of new cell sites... for greater access to all the things you want, whenever you want them. it's the at&t network... and what's possible in here is almost impossible to say. it's the at&t network... all systems prepare to engage.
1:53 am
captain, unidentified object -- detergent chamber. that's a cascade complete pac. the best of cascade powder and gel combined in one vessel. brilliant. we're gonna need it. lasagna pan lower rack! fire! [ female announcer ] conquer tough foods and greasy messes. [ mom ] wow! [ crew ] yeah!!! [ female announcer ] cascade complete pacs. love it or your money back. i really didn't see it coming. i didn't realize i was drifting into the other lane. [ kim ] i was literally falling asleep at the wheel. it got my attention, telling me that i wasn't paying attention. i had no idea the guy in front of me had stopped short. but my car did. -my car did. -thankfully, my mercedes did. [ male announcer ] a world you can't predict... demands a car you can trust. the e-class. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial services.
1:54 am
week three of the agentany weiner scandal begins with president obama weighing in. all the latest, next. the two trains and a bus rider. the "i'll sleep when it's done" academic. for 80 years, we've been inspired by you. and we've been honored to walk with you to help you get where you want to be. ♪ because your moment is now. let nothing stand in your way. learn more at i was told to begin my aspirin regimen. i just didn't listen until i almost lost my life. my doctor's again ordered me to take aspirin. and i do. [ male announcer ] be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. [ mike ] listen to the doctor. take it seriously. we don't just make a taillight... ..we make a sculpture. we don't just make a sunroof... ..we make the heavens wide.
1:55 am
we don't just make a crossover... ..we make a statement. the cadillac srx. we don't just make luxury cars, we make cadillacs. finally tonight, it's been a rough 72 hours for anthony weiner of new york. new pictures of the congressman have surfaced and now president obama is addressing the scandal publicly for the first time. as we reported earlier, mr. obama sat down with nbc's ann curry and strongly suggested that weiner should pack his bags. >> i could tell you, if it was
1:56 am
me, i would resign. because public service is exactly that, it's a service to the public. and when you get to the point where because of various personal distractions you can't serve as effectively as you need to. >> this as the house ethics committee begins a preliminary inquiry into the congressman's actions. house officials telling the associated press that committee leaders have not indicated whether they will ask for a more intensive investigation of the congressman. over the weekend, weiner resisted calls for resignation from top democrats, including nancy pelosi. instead, weiner asked congress for a leave of absence in order to seek treatment. the the house granted him a two-week leave. josh, welcome. good to have you with us tonight. >> good to be with you. >> the fact that the president
1:57 am
weighed in on this, what does that mean? >> this is about as clear a signal the democratic party could send that they want him out of there and they want him out of there as soon as possible. >> well, out of there meaning -- >> meaning resign his seat. a leave of absence isn't enough. sort of a fig leaf for him to try and cling to his seat to try to go the treatment route and maybe leave open the possibility it could come back. i think the message from obama is that, no, if you look at the way that the president cast the terms as being one of kind of public service and doing what's good for the public rather than kind of selfishly hanging on to this congressional seat. i think it's clear that the power struggle and the democratic party wants him to resign from congress. >> josh, what can they do about it? the caucus weighing in on this this week and the president has already weighed in on it with nbc's ann curry.
1:58 am
i mean, it doesn't get any bigger than that. how could anthony weiner come back and be effective with working with his colleagues in congress? >> i don't think he can. over the last few days this ratcheting up of pressure first from congressional colleagues and then the organized statement from congressional leadership and finally now from the president himself. i don't think weiner could really be missing the signal and i do think now that the leader of his party, the president of the united states has weighed in and suggested that he should resign. i expect the pressure will be all but unbearable and there has been word that has come from various sources today that weiner is thinking about resigning and he is torn but i think he's being moved, obviously, reluctantly in the direction of having to give up his seat. >> josh, he's going to get a couple of weeks off to go into treatment. why didn't he ask for that a week ago when he gave his press conference? it seems like he's been in somewhat denial that he's been politically chasing this all week. there always seems to be this
1:59 am
calculation along the road. never really this full disclosure that he has a problem and now there seems like another calculation when the news of the 17-year-old girl came out and then, of course, the police got involved and who knows where that is and, of course, nancy pelosi officially weighed in and wanted him to step out and then the treatment after that allp haened. why not do that a week ago? does that hurt his credibility? >> it definitely does. weiner has been behind the news since the scandal. he lied and said it wasn't him in the pic and he didn't do anything inappropriate and then he gave the press conference. if you remember how awkward that was, took just about every question thrown his way, i think, with the expectation that if he went out there with everything he could kill these questions and put it to rest and then more pictures and more people and the 17-year-old, i think all of this is just kind of pushing him further and further out there. >> as i predicted on this broadcast a week ago tonight, this is how these things evolve. i knew it wasn't going to go away.


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on